FCM: China approves new additives & resins
China’s National Health Commission (NHC) approved on July 23rd, 2019:
1. the new or expanded use of four additives for food-contact materials and articles
Three additives were approved for expanded use in certain plastic food-contact materials and articles, namely:
- Phosphoric acid (CAS: 7664-38-2)
- Potassium dihydrogen phosphate (CAS: 7778-77-0)
- Sodium acetate (CAS: 127-09-3)
One additive was approved for use in coatings that do not contact infant food and breast milk:
- Oxirane, (chloromethyl)-, polymer with 4,4’-methylenebis[2,6-dimethylphenol] (CAS: 113693-69-9)
2. The use of four new resins in coatings and coating layers, namely:
- Formaldehyde, polymer with 2-methylphenol, 3-methylphenol, 4-methylphenol, butyl ether (CAS: 298689-79-9), maximum use level: 5%
- Vinyl chloride- vinyl acetate- maleic acid terpolymer (CAS: 9005-09-8), maximum use level: 4.5%
- 1,4-cyclohexamedimethanol polymer with trimethylol propane, neopentyl glycol, adipic acid, isophthalic acid and maleic anhydride, maximum use level: 65%.
- Formaldehyde, polymer with 4,4'-(1-methylethylidene)bis[phenol] (CAS: 25085-75-0); maximum use level: 10%
The approvals for the resin materials include single migration limits (SMLs) and, in some cases, other restrictions.